GATE 2023 Test Date
- GATE is generally conducted on the second Sunday of February every year and the results announced in the middle of March. Now a days Gate exam is online hence gate exam is conducted during first and second week of February, exam date depends on stream.
How to apply for GATE 2023?
- There is only one way by which candidates can apply for GATE 2023 examination – Online.
- Gate exam is conducted by IITs & IISC bangalore. Gate 2013 will be conducted by IIT Kanpur. Application form for Gate 2023 will be available in the month of September on IIT Kanpur’s site.
GATE 2023 Examination Structure
GATE 2023 will be conducted for 29 papers. The table shows the list of papers with codes. Please click the link in Paper/Code to download the syllabus.
A candidate is allowed to appear either in ONE or UP TO TWO papers of the GATE 2023 examination. However, a candidate is only allowed to select the second paper from the pre-defined Two Paper Combination list.
- The candidate is expected to appear in Gate 2023 appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree.
- The candidate has to qualify the GATE 2023 exam with good marks to consider it for the admission in Master’s or PSUs, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
Pattern of Gate 2023 Question Papers and Marking Scheme
Particulars Details Examination Mode Computer Based Test (CBT) [will be conducted at select centers in select cities] Duration 3 Hours* Number of Subjects (Papers) 29 Sections General Aptitude (GA) +
Candidate’s Selected Subject(s)
Type of Questions (a) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
(b) Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/or
(c) Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
Questions for testing these abilities (a) Recall
(d) Analysis & Synthesis
Number of Questions 10 (GA) + 55 (subject) = 65 Questions Distribution of Marks in all Papers EXCEPT papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST, XH and XL General Aptitude: 15 Marks +
Engineering Mathematics**: 13 Marks +
Subject Questions: 72 Marks =
Total: 100 Marks
(**XE includes Engineering Mathematics section XE-A of 15 Marks)
Distribution of Marks in papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST, XH and XL General Aptitude: 15 Marks +
Subject Questions: 85 Marks =
Total: 100 Marks
Marking Scheme Questions carry 1 mark and 2 marks Negative Marking For a wrong answer chosen in a MCQ, there will be negative marking.
For 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
Likewise, For 2-mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
No negative marking for Incorrect answer(s) to MSQ or NAT question.
Paper Code General Aptitude (GA) Marks Subject Marks Total Marks Total Time (Minutes) AE, AG, BM, BT, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, ES, EY, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, NM, PE, PH, PI, ST, TF 15 85 100 180 AR [Part A + Part B1 or B2 (B1: Architecture or B2: Planning)]
B1 or B2 can be selected during Exam.
15 60 + 25 100 180 GE [Part A + Part B1 or B2 (B1 – Surveying and Mapping or B2 -Image Processing and Analysis)] B1 or B2 can be selected during the Exam. 15 55 + 30 100 180 GG [Part A + Part B]
(Section 1: Geology or Section 2: Geophysics)
15 25 + 60 100 180 XE (Section A + Any TWO Sections)
Sections can be selected during Exam.
15 15 + (2 x 35) 100 180 XH (Section B1 + Any ONE Section) 15 25 + 60 100 180 XL (Section P + Any TWO Sections)
Sections can be selected during Exam.
15 25 + (2 x 30) 100 180
*PwD candidates with benchmark disability are eligible for the compensatory time of 20 minutes per hour. Thus, they will get one hour extra for a three hours examination.
GATE 2023 COMBINATION OF TWO PAPERS
|Code of the First (Primary) Paper||Codes of Papers Allowed as The Second Paper||Code of the First (Primary) Paper||Codes of Papers Allowed as The Second Paper|
|AE||CE, ME, XE||GG||GE|
|AG||CE||IN||BM, EC, EE, ME|
|AR||CE, GE||MA||CS, PH, ST|
|BM||BT, IN||ME||AE, IN, NM, PI, XE|
|CE||AE, AG, AR, ES, GE, NM, XE||NM||CE, ME|
|CH||ES, PE, XE||PE||CH|
|CS||EC, GE, MA, PH, ST||PH||CS, EC, EE, MA, XE|
|CY||XE, XL||PI||ME, XE|
|EC||CS, EE, IN, PH||ST||CS, MA, XH|
|EE||EC, IN, PH||XE||AE, CE, CH, CY, ME, MT, PH, PI|
|ES||CE, CH, GE||XH||ST|
|EY||XL||XL||BT, CY, EY|
|GE||AR, CE, CS, ES, GG|
Candidates opting to appear in TWO subject papers must have a primary choice of paper as their default choice. The second choice of paper has to be chosen from the allowed combinations given in the Table above. Combinations other than the listed ones are NOT allowed. Under unforeseen circumstances certain combinations may be removed from the list in the above Table at a later date. In such cases, the fee paid towards the second paper will be refunded to the candidates. Also note that the examination centre of a candidate for the second paper may be different (but in the same city) from that for the first paper due to the infrastructure and scheduling constraints. GATE 2023 is NOT liable for any legal obligations related to this issue.
About Gate 2023 Marking
33 % of Negative marking in applicable. Eg: 1 mark MCQ-1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. Similarly for 2 marks multiple choice questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
How GATE 2023 score is calculated?
Expansion of equation:
ag = Global average of marks of all candidates who appeared across all papers and years
sg = global standard deviation of marks of all candidates who appeared across all papers and years
m = marks obtained by the candidate.
a = average of marks of all candidates who appeared in the paper mentioned on this scorecard in GATE
s = standard deviation of marks of all candidates who appeared in the paper mentioned on this scorecard in GATE
The maximum score can be attained is 1000.
- The evaluation of the ORS is carried out by a computerized process using scanning machines, with utmost care. Requests for revaluation of the answer script and re-totaling of marks will not be entertained.
- GATE 2018 score card is valid for three years.
About Gate 2023 Eligibility
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology/Architecture (Post-B.Sc./Post-Diploma) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master’s degree program (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology.
- Candidates in the fourth or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institute of Engineers (India); AMICE by Institute of Civil Engineers (India)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
Advantages of Gate 2023
PSU/ Government Jobs – Direct calls
- NTPC, BHEL, BARC, IOCL, Power Grid calls for interview based on GATE 2018 score, In future most of the PSUs companies will consider GATE score for recruitment
Government Sector Jobs entrance exams
- DRDO, ONGC, SAIL, BSNL-JTO, HAL, NAL, HPCL etc – more than 10,000 vacancies, Syllabus is subset of GATE 2018 syllabus. Hence GATE 2017 preparation enough to crack these exams. Research based jobs- DRDO, Job stability & high paying salary – E.g… 7 lacs per annum – IOCL (Employment News is the source of information )
Private Sectors Jobs – Interview
- GATE score helps students during campus placement. More no. of GATE qualifiers establishes.
MBA: Admission in NITIE, Mumbai
- Industrial Engineering program in top 10 institute of the country Admissions to IIMs: Fellow ship program
- Fellowship program is equivalent PhD. Stipend: 22000/- per month Study Abroad: Singapore, Germany & New Zealand
- NUS, NTU Singapore accepts GATE 2017 score
Better Academic Results
- Pre-final / final year students
Advantage of GATE 2023
Mandatory for self-financing students
- Students with GATE 2018 score are preferred as they create funds for Private colleges.
Project Assistance ship at NTs /HSc and NITs
- Students with lower GATE 2018 score but have zeal to do research get opportunity in labs of Premier institutes. Students can get into MS course from Assistance ship
Higher Technical Education- ME, MTech, MS & PhD
- HSc, HTs, NITs, Central University, Govt. Colleges, Private colleges more than 10,000 seats,
- Stipend 12400/- per month (Masters) & 28800/- per month (PhD)
Other PG Entrance Exams in India
|Name of the Exam||Type of Exam||Syllabus||Examination Dates||No. of Seats|
|GATE- National Level Exam||Objective-MCQ (negative marking)||Standard University Syllabus + General Aptitude||February||>9,000|
|State Level Exam||Objective-MCQ (no negative marking)||Same as GATE 2023||June-July||>2000|
|University PG entrance||Objective- MCQ||Same as GATE 2023||June – July||>1500|
|HSc. Entrance Exams||Objective + Subjective||Same as GATE 2023||May-June||>200|
|HTs Entrance Exams||Objective + Subjective||Same as GATE 2023||May-June||>1000|
Guidelines For Gate 2023
- In GATE, candidates need to register and fill the application ONLINE only by accessing the GATE 2023 websites ie IIT Kanpur.
Are Pre-final Year Students not eligible for Gate 2023 ?
- As per the information till June 2022, Pre-final year students are eligible to write GATE 2023.
Admit Card for Gate 2023
- Admit card can be downloaded ONLY from the zonal GATE 2023 websites.
- Candidates will not be permitted to take the test if original and valid photo identification is not presented.
Highlights of GATE 2023
• Dates of examination: Saturday 4th, Sunday 5th, Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th February, 2023. There are two sessions (forenoon and afternoon) each day.
• Fully Computer Based Test (CBT).
• Total number of subject papers: 29.
• All Test Papers of GATE 2023 examinations will be entirely of objective type. The pattern of questions will include some Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQ), while the remaining questions may include Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/or Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
• A candidate is allowed to appear for ONE or maximum TWO subject papers only. TWO Paper combinations have to be chosen from the given list of combinations of papers. Final allotment of TWO papers will still be subject to availability of infrastructure and dates.
• Eligibility criteria: A candidate who is currently studying in the 3rd or higher years of any undergraduate degree program OR has already completed any government approved degree program in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Commerce / Arts is eligible to appear for GATE 2023 examination.
• There is NO age limit to appear for GATE 2023 examination.
• Applications will be accepted ONLINE only through GATE 2023 website (https://gate.iitk.ac.in). Even if a candidate is appearing for TWO papers, the candidate should fill ONLY ONE application form.
• GATE 2023 score card will remain valid for THREE years from the date of announcement of results.
• Candidates with BDS, BVSc and BSc (Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry) degrees can write GATE 2023.
• Details are available at the official website: https://gate.iitk.ac.in
• Organising Institute: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK).
Note: Zonal GATE offices (IITs and IISc) NEVER sell or advertise any GATE examination papers or syllabus. Candidates are advised to stay alert about frauds in the market / fake emails / fake SMS related to GATE. Any individual / organization claiming to sell / distribute GATE papers in the name of IITs and IISc will attract appropriate legal action.
Can you list the zones of the prestigious I IT institutes?
- GATE 2023 is conducted through the constitution of eight zones. The zones and the corresponding administrative institutes are:
- Zone 1 – Indian Institute of Science Bangalore
- Zone 2 – Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Zone 3 – Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- Zone 4 – Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
- Zone 5 – Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- Zone 6 – Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Zone 7 – Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Zone 8 – Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
How many times can I attempt GATE?
- Number of attempts is not restricted. The best of the valid GATE 2023 score is accepted which we provide in application form. The GATE 2023 score is valid for 3 years.
Is there age limit for taking GATE 2023 examination?
- There is no age limit.
Eligibility in terms of percentage marks to take up the GATE 2023 examination?
- The candidate should have a PASS certificate from a recognized university.
What is the time required to prepare for GATE 2023 examination?
You can spend 6-12 months to prepare for GATE. Best coaching institute for Gate 2023 preparation is The Gate Coach.
Can you provide the Engineering Colleges admission procedures?
- There are around 300 colleges and therefore cutoffs are not often revealed by institutes. You can refer to Post gate 2023 admission guide which lists cut offs for various lISc, IITs and NITs time to time. Mechanical engineering gate cut off’s are available on-
- Mechanical Engineering Gate cut off’s
What is the placement scenario in IIT’s and how much the companies offer?
- This is a dynamic kind of information that varies with stream, specialization, the institute and the industry with every particular year.
What are the options for a Mechanical Engineering student for software specialization of any related subject?
- Post gate 2023 admission guide will give you a better idea of what branches are interdisciplinary. However, the details vary from institute to institute. In general if you are changing branches, your admission will be possible in interdisciplinary specializations only.
Which IIT is conducting GATE 2023 ?
- It varies from year to year. GATE 2023 will be conducted by IIT Kanpur.
Can a person holding MBA in [Information Systems] be eligible to GATE?
- The basic requirement for GATE is an Engineering degree or MSc. If the person has an engineering degree, he can give the exam, otherwise not possible If a candidate appears for GATE twice which score will be considered?
- The higher score you have secured of the two will be considered automatically once you fill-up the form. Can you tell us the Fee and stipend details of various institutes?
- Fees – Rs. 25,000 to 52,000 per annum.
- Stipend – Rs. 12400/- per month (Masters) & 28800/- per month (PhD). Admission brochure can be referred for more details of the particular institute. Give us the details of reservation in various institutes?
- All reservations will be considered as mandatory by the law. Can you tell us the typical Cut-off Marks?
- The following can be considered as tentative cut-off marks:
Above 55-IITs, IISc
Above 50-PSU calls
GATE 2023 for International Candidates?
- GATE 2023 examination shall be held for international candidates in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E).
for more details log on to www.thegatecoach.com
Visit us at
mail us at
Call us at
(+91) – 9873452122